Why my parents are cool.
Today I had one of my shower thinking, this time about how my parents don't believe in wealth or unnecessary amenities that some people redefine as necessities to make themselves feel better splurging on. And I am absolutely happy with that.
Growing up, we ALWAYS shower with cold water. My parents never installed water heater, till this day, and NEVER have them prepare us lukewarm water for shower (except when we were babies of course). And until today, contrary to popular beliefs, my parents have never installed ASTRO, let alone B.yond or whatever you call it. We've been using the same TV set since the last 10 years even, so no flat screen obviously. We have never had PS 2 or 3, we only had the 16-bit game console, which only lasted for a couple of years and then God knows where it went. We only have air conditioner installed last year, because of the extreme weather lately and mom's sensitivity of the weather (just like me). And internet. We had internet installed back in 1999, but then dad uninstalled it and only reinstalled it a few years back, before I went off to New Zealand.
More than half of the people I know have almost everything I mentioned we didn't have (or have late). And I only felt hot water for shower either in hotels or here.
And you know what? I am glad we didn't have all that. Not because I can appreciate it more, but just imagine. If my parents have installed water heater, I bet we won't be THAT energetic at school, and we wouldn't even be mentally in the classroom. If my parents have installed ASTRO,I would be happy watching Star Movies or HBO all the time we would be spending too much time in front of the TV. Which would mean lack of studying or social life. If we have had PS2/3/Wii since we were kids, it would be hard for us siblings to leave for boarding school/hostel, which evidently has brought positive impacts to all of us. If we have been sleeping under the cool blow of air-conditioner, we wouldn't be able to get out of bed before noon on weekends, and we would miss all the wonders they bring. And if we had internet all those times when I was 9 to 12, trust me, I wouldn't be studying AT ALL, I might be playing games or wandering around in mirc (which I did whenever I go to my granny's that time).
And don't get me started on mom taking away my phone few months before SPM.
So yeah, I'm happy and grateful that our parents think old-school, strict teaching is much better than providing all the wealth to the kids in the name of 'education'.
Growing up, we ALWAYS shower with cold water. My parents never installed water heater, till this day, and NEVER have them prepare us lukewarm water for shower (except when we were babies of course). And until today, contrary to popular beliefs, my parents have never installed ASTRO, let alone B.yond or whatever you call it. We've been using the same TV set since the last 10 years even, so no flat screen obviously. We have never had PS 2 or 3, we only had the 16-bit game console, which only lasted for a couple of years and then God knows where it went. We only have air conditioner installed last year, because of the extreme weather lately and mom's sensitivity of the weather (just like me). And internet. We had internet installed back in 1999, but then dad uninstalled it and only reinstalled it a few years back, before I went off to New Zealand.
More than half of the people I know have almost everything I mentioned we didn't have (or have late). And I only felt hot water for shower either in hotels or here.
And you know what? I am glad we didn't have all that. Not because I can appreciate it more, but just imagine. If my parents have installed water heater, I bet we won't be THAT energetic at school, and we wouldn't even be mentally in the classroom. If my parents have installed ASTRO,
And don't get me started on mom taking away my phone few months before SPM.
So yeah, I'm happy and grateful that our parents think old-school, strict teaching is much better than providing all the wealth to the kids in the name of 'education'.
Comments