Sex education in Malaysia
I have nothing against it, really. But I really don't think it's necessary nor relevant at the moment. Here's why:
They (I hate to overgeneralize, but the Westerners, who have sex education taught as a subject in their schools) have this lifestyle, where people think it's fine to have a premarital sex and lose your virginity when the time is right. Therefore, it is essential for the parents to have 'the talk' with their kids, introducing them to the 'birds and the bees', safe sex and etc. So when sex education is taught in school, the responsibility of having 'the talk' with their kids are relieved to the teacher.
In Malaysia, however, it is still taboo to talk about sex in open, let alone having premarital sex. Well no point in denying that some are okay with it, true, but not the community in general. Therefore, parents don't really talk about intercourse with their children. Because we know it is 'morally and socially' wrong to have intercourse before marriage. With very little/no exposure from parents (I believe no exposure at all), why should we suddenly put the unnecessary burden on the teachers? If it is taboo to be talked even with your own parents, why should it be talked about out in open?
So IMHO there really is no point in implementing sex education, and what we learned in science/biology is sufficient, I think. It'll be like a bomb being dropped on the students.
I know in some ways sex education would affect adolescents' attitude towards sex-related behavior, but I don't think we are ready for it. Unless parents start telling their kids about courtship and intercourse (which will in a way indicates that they are okay with sex, but I still personally think parents shouldn't be having the talk with their kids until they got serious with someone because if not the kids will think that their parents are fine with them having premarital sex), only then sex education is relevant and/or necessary.
Comments
Thanks for your opinion. I really appreciate it. But with all due respect, I think you're missing out the point of this post.
While I agree with you, sex education and awareness about safe sex and birth control and everything is beneficial (and yes, education never harms anyone), I think there's no point in implementing it when the parents aren't ready.
Parents are the ones we should be alerting about the current rate of premarital sex before we decide to implement sex education in school, because I also believe education starts from home.
Parents should start telling their offspring about sex first, only then it is relevant to be taught in school.
I do agree with making sex education a formal subject in school, but not now. Not when 80 percent of the parents don't feel the need to tell their children about sex.
Thanks.
And that's when the parents' decision is important.
As an adult or future parent, the concern is still there. can our children make the right decision? Parents, on the other hand, play a significant role in guiding the children. I personally believe that the upbringing of a child is very important. it is the main responsibility for parents to educate, guide and protect their children from bad influences. Nowadays, we have tv shows, musics and advertisement that promotes soft porns, heavily embedded with sexual innuendoes but what do we see the trend now?? Ignorance and lack of control by parents. You may say that, as parents, we can't stop the influence from coming, but have we ever tried and put effort? Filtering contents of tv shows when sitting and watching with our children? Telling our kids that this song is not healthy to listen to? The family value in the first place, has eroded.
Why don't we focus more on the responsibilities of parents first? I think it is better to address the root of the problem. To me, introducing sex education is just like taking the easy way out. it's like saying, "after all, they will know about it someday, why not now?" Giving and allowing such exposure does not grant that they will not avoid pre-marital sex. They will know how to have sex safely but will it stop them from having multiple sex partners because now that they(the children) know how to do it safely? It is selfish to rob away the children's innocence by exposing them to things that are not appropriate for them yet just so that you can stop baby dumping cases, sex-related diseases cases and abortion cases from increasing. There are other ways.
See, there is no currently the right methodology or research being done in the Malaysian context to actually prove that sex education is appropriate for our society. I dare say that it will be stupid to abruptly introduce sex education into the educational system just to curb social problems related to sex. Therefore, I would like to stress again, sex education is not the final answer. Rather than focusing too much on it, why not look into the parents' role firstly? If parents make the commitment in teaching and educating their chidlren, you don't have to worry about your children being influenced by sexually related problems. Thank you.