105; my first raya abroad

OMG isn't it annoying to see my blog is left unupdated? SHEESH. Okay here's the thing. It's spring break right now and I have been pampering myself with heaps of sleep time and Charmed; the whole season One. Yes, you remember Charmed? The story about the three witch sisters? Yeah that one.


Right now I don't want to talk about much things except for some stuffs. First of all, this would be my first raya abroad. That means no takbir from nearest mosque/musolla, no my mom's classic black pepper beef (yes we eat that with ketupat instead of the usual kuah kacang), no 20 kinds of kuih raya or lemang or dodol, no lagu raya, what else? No tonnes of bicarbonate drinks when we go to our relatives' houses, no visiting of my late Onyang (great grandma), Atuk Miskam, Atuk Yaacob and Nenek Rahmah (Al-Fatihah) and no heartaches upon people asking my mum 'you have another daughter?' or 'what was the name of this daughter of yours again?'.


I don't really mind missing out on all that, well at least not all. I do feel bad for not being able to go to late Nenek's 'new home', because this year would be the third year. But today my dad said something that made me really miss having raya with my family (not whanau*, please).


When my sister was a little kid, one of her biggest fears was not having baju raya. So my dad always, every year, sings 'Satu hari di hari raya.. Ika tak ada baju raya..' and she would cry. I almost forgot about this tradition of ours; mocking others who buy baju raya at the eleventh hour, until my mom complained that Dad and Annaz didn't want new baju raya this year. Then my dad said, "It's alright, then both of us can sing 'satu hari di hari raya.. kitorang takde baju raya'.." and then he laughed. I, too, laughed so hard. But what he didn't know, right that moment, I cried. I miss him singing that silly song to us sisters. And I miss my sister's look everytime we sing her that.


Now THAT is what I truly miss. Not all the food. Not all the preparation before raya (to be honest, we don't really go crazy before raya, so yeah). Not meeting all the relatives, because eff, I know they'll only hurt me in the end. Not the raya konvoi, because sorry guys, you never really invite me to join konvoi2 ni, biasanya korang ajak aku bila terserempak dengan aku je. Last year the only person who invited me to join the konvoi was Akasyah. And heck, it wasn't awkward at all for me, but for most of you, my presence was pretty awkward. I don't miss the duit raya, because I've outgrown that when I finished my foundation. Or whatever else.


I'll write some more rants tomorrow, Insya Allah.


p.s: Mom always remind me, that raya doesn't matter much. What matters the most is the puasa (: TRUE.

Comments

a.n.y.s.s said…
oh mahu cakap yg akak pun tengah dlm proses tengok charmed 1st season balik! :D

yup. just enjoy raya kat sana, okay? :))

Popular posts from this blog

The List.

50. ini entri untuk kau

29. Nikmat dunia